19 October 2008

In Which Litza is Quite Busy (as usual)

Happy Monday! I'm sorry that I didn't get around to this yesterday. This weekend was a wee bit busy, and I made the executive decision that you could all wait for a life update. I hope that's ok.



This week has been, like every other, kind of insane. Good insane, though-- definitely good. I keep making the discovery over and over again that theatre people are just fun. I tossed a balloon up in the air on Wednesday, and before I knew it we were having a full-on game of "let's keep the balloon off the floor." How old are we, anyway? It was great. Lots of laughter and silliness. Other pre-class activities include handstands, backwards summersaults, and bubble blowing.



Monday:

Life as per usual. Historical dance, movement, and Dramatic Literature. I still cannot do a hand stand, but I'm going to be able to! I am! I'm practising, and I will learn.



Tuesday:

On Tuesday we went to the British Museum. Before getting there, Kari, Dana, and I had a picnic in the park. It looked something like this:



The British Museum is huge, overwhelming, and not really organised in a logical fashion, but is terribly interesting. We were given a list of all the things we had to see, and so we meandered about for a couple of hours finding giant winged bulls and mummies. Quite the experience!



Wednesday:

...was not particularly noteworthy. Carry on.



Thursday:

Thursday was a fairly high-stress day, due to a complete failure of communication with my Alexander Technique teacher. I don't know what she wants from me! That evening things got better, though, as there were no particularly pressing homework issues, so Dana came over and we made Cadbury's chocolate chunk cookies. They were delicious, and earned us much praise from my flat and hers. Notice our adorable aprons as well.




Friday:

Class all day, followed by Joel's birthday party! There were cupcakes, there was singing, there were handstands and backwards summersaults. Sometimes people who weren't in the programme showed up, and I felt sorry for them... how are you supposed to cope with this insanity if you don't see it every day of your life? Here's a picture of Joel, and all the ladies in our programme:


After things had calmed down a little, the fiddles were brought out. Anna and Laura played their fiddles, and Alex accompanied them on a drum set (that looked very much like an ironing board to most of us).

Saturday:

Saturday morning found me at the zoo. Though I love the zoo very much, I wasn't there just for pleasure. I was there to find an animal that behaved physically similarly to the character I'm studying for acting class. I finally settled on a meerkat, and watched them for about an hour. I have many videos of them on my computer now, and several photographs. Here's one, for your viewing pleasure:

I also really liked the pygmy hippo, but that doesn't really have anything to do with anything:



After an adventure at the zoo, I met Kat at King's Cross Station and we went venturing off to Cambridge to celebrate Lu's birthday. (This celebration was over a month late, but who's counting?) There we had an adventure that consisted of pink champagne, a unicorn pinata, and funny crowns and masks. What's not to love?



Oh yeah, we also did normal stuff, like go out to dinner. Here's Poppy, Kat, and Lu at ASK:


We did go out for a while after dinner, and returned somewhat late in the evening. Then, behold! We ran into Rupert (I didn't even know people were truly named Rupert) coming down the stairs. He agreed to a midnight concert in the Trinity College Chapel, and off we went, sneaking across campus. Rupert, being the chapel organist, had a key. He let us in, and we sat there for an hour and listened to him play "Edelweis," "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" and more. It was lovely. I've posted a video, and we'll see if that actually works. [Edit: No, it doesn't. I'm not patient enough to let it upload completely. You can just imagine it. Darkened chapel. Softly played piano.]


Sunday:

On Sunday we got up late and hauled ourselves off to Tattie's for breakfast. Yum. Then we stuck Mark on a bus and Kat and I got on a train back to London. By 4:00 I was home, and went on a brief expedition to a craft store with Dana before heading off to dinner at Elizabeth Gibbs' house. Dinner was delicious, the company was exceptional, and the evening was a great success. We're having her over for dinner next Sunday, so hopefully we can live up to her example!

Lu, Kat, and me right before we dashed madly off to put Mark on his bus and Kat and me on our train:




And now, some Luna!




On Tuesday I went to the British Museum. It's so big! I saw lots of interesting things inside: mummies, and hieroglyphics, enormous statues, and pieces of the Greek Parthenon. I felt smarter just being inside! If I stayed there for years, though, I don't think I'd ever get to see all there was to see.



Here I am with my friend Kat! We are at Trinity College, Cambridge. Cambridge is one of England's very best universities... and it's very pretty as well! Cambridge is celebrating its 800th birthday next year. Can you believe it? The buildings are all very old, of course, and right behind me is some water that runs all through the university. You can go punting on it. Lots of famous people went to Cambridge, including A.A. Milne. He wrote Winnie-the-Pooh!



This is another picture of in Cambridge. I told you the buildings were pretty!

No comments: